The Assistant News Director assists the News Director with all aspects of news, weather and sports programming production, and serves as the News Director in his/her absence.
- Assists the News Director with management of all aspects of the News Department (other than Production.)
- Assists with planning, staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
- Consults on decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
- Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website.
- Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
- Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
- Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
- Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
- Responds to coverage questions.
- Serves as the News Director in his/her absence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Minimum two years’ experience in news programming production, with some leadership experience preferred. (Depending on market size.)
- Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.